What Is Sublimation Printing: All You Need To Know
Have you ever heard of sublimation printing? It's the kind of printing that stands out for its fine lines and details. It's considered to be one of the best methods for all-over printing. In this article, know more about what is sublimation printing, and the things you need to do it.
Defining Sublimation Printing
Sublimation is scientifically defined as a phenomenon when a solid material turns into a gas without going through a liquid stage. So what is sublimation printing? Sublimation printing a method of printing that transfers a design into a material or fabric using ink and heat.
The Sublimating Process
In doing the sublimation printing, your images and graphics are printed on a special paper. They are printed as a mirror image with the use of specialist dye-sub inks. Then it's placed on the garment and heat, and pressure is applied to allow the ink to transition from the current solid form directly into a gas. Thus, sublimation. The ink will penetrate the fabric resulting in a high-definition print with an incredibly intricate level of detail.
Things You Need For Sublimation Printing
Here are some of the things you need for your set up to do sublimation printing.
- Sublimation Printer – The sublimation ink printer is the most essential item. This machine used to be very expensive. But with the increase in demand for printed products, these printers have eventually reduced its price.
- Sublimation Paper – It is also known as the transfer paper. With the use of a sublimation printer, any color can be created and transferred onto the sublimation paper. You can print a personal artwork, a customized logo, or any design you want to use on paper like they do with office paper.
- Computer & RIP Software – Some sublimation printers include software required in setting up what will be printed out. These computer programs are called RIP or Raster Image Processor software. Not all printers include the RIP, but it can be purchased separately. When you buy the software, make sure that it is compatible with the type of printer used.
- Cutting Mechanism – One of the recommended items for sublimation includes a cutting device that is necessary when creating original fabric items. This cutting device can be a knife or a rotary blade. Some cutting products include more than one option in one system to suit all needs. You would also need a sewing machine for hemming the material. This is necessary when creating Silicone Edge Graphic frames.
- Heat Press – Another essential item for sublimation printing is a heat press, which is the step in the sublimation process following printing. Like the printer, sublimation transfers come in various sizes, models, and prices to suit all needs. The heat press's function is to transfer the design from the sublimation paper onto your material, such as coffee mugs, tumblers, and t-shirts. This will create an item with a more precise image that is resistant to fading, making it more durable in the long run.
Sublimation printing has been widely used in printing businesses as its printing quality works best in almost all items you want.