How To Make Art Prints
The printing process for an artist is essential. They would not just want their art prints to look professional, but they also wish to effectively convey the intent of your original art. In this article, let's find out how to make art prints and what you should consider in producing quality artworks.
List Of Things You Need
Here's the list of things you need to make art prints.
- Art. Of course, this is the most important
- A camera to take a high-resolution image of your art.
- A computer with a good monitor display for color accuracy.
- A good photo editing software
- A pigment-based inkjet printer.
Let's Make Art Prints
Here are the steps on how to make art prints
- Use the camera to capture a good photo. Use daylight bulbs or natural light for good lighting.
- Transfer the images in your computer and access it with the photo editing software that you prefer to use. Like for example, photoshop.
- Edit the images by cropping and correcting the color using the editing software. For smaller artworks, you can try to use a scanner.
- Have the best resolution image you can get, depending on the size of prints you would like to make.
- Make your image file as closer to the original work of art when you edit the photo. Try to make your image brighter while editing as the printer can cause over-saturation of the inks. This is the reason why proofing is essential.
Things To Consider In Making Art Prints
Here are some things that you need to consider in putting together a good printing workflow.
1. Make use of a good display. Don't expect great art prints if you're using a low-grade monitor. Using a laptop display will not give you the accuracy you need to evaluate your images adequately before printing. Always start with a good desktop display if you want to print your own images.
2. Calibrate and profile your display - Doesn't matter what monitor you use, you need to set up your display properly to make sure your computer system is accurately displaying color.
The most widespread problem people encounter when starting to print is that the print output is too dark. The reason for this is because the display setting is set too bright. The brightness setting of around 100 cd/m2 is a starting point that will work.
3. Use a suitable printer. - There are a lot of printer models that you can choose from. Choose a printer that's suitable for printing good images.
4. Use good media - One of the most appealing aspects of printing yourself is selecting the print substrates. Always remember that not all media are created equal. Therefore, you will do get what you will pay for.
5. Use good printer profiles - ICC printer profiles are among the most critical aspects of the art print workflow. Printer profiles manage the print output based on a particular combination of the model of printer and selected media.
Therefore, quality art prints are not only about printing the art. It relies on knowing how each of the elements like pixels, resolution, print size, and color, will affect your artwork from the start and throughout the process.