How To Frame A Rolled Canvas Print Easily
The name itself defines the rolled canvas print. It refers to unstretched canvas prints that can be a great addition to your home decors. Learn how to frame a rolled canvas print in this article.
Rolled Canvas Versus Stretched Canvas
What is the difference of rolled canvas from a stretched canvas? Which one is more recommended to use? Refer below for the comparison of a rolled canvas and stretched canvas.
- Stretched canvas – This kind of canvas is a bit expensive. You will have to consider expenses for labor and the materials to be used for stretching. If the canvas needs to be shipped, it also comes with a high shipping price as well. Stretched canvas needs to be securely packaged. The canvas and stretcher bars require more space and protection to warrant safety from any scratches or damage. What's great about this type of canvas is that it's ready to hang. The printing company takes care of the stretching, so there is a lower chance of damaging the print with guaranteed professional quality.
- Rolled or Unstretched canvas – The rolled canvas is ideal for projects that do not require immediate setup. This canvas is far more affordable than the stretched one because you are only buying the print. But bear in mind that customized frames or frame shop labor also have additional costs. Rolled canvas is placed in a tube for travel and shipment. Most people opt for this type because of the freedom they get in framing and mounting.
Hang A Rolled Canvas Print Or Painting
There are different ways on how to hang a rolled or unstretched canvas print or painting. Here are some of the options for you to choose from.
- Rail frame – How to frame a rolled canvas print using a rail frame is probably the easiest way to use it. The rail frame will clamp on the upper and lower part of the rolled canvas print using magnets. The upper wooden rail has a string connected so it can easily be hanged. That's it.
- Mat the rolled canvas painting – If you like the look of a mat or liner around a painting, then you can also mat a painting done on paper or rolled canvas. This is advisable for small pieces of canvas as it will easily lie very flat under a mat. A larger piece may not lie as flat, so look for other ways to frame it.
- Leave it frameless – Unframed rolled canvas print is still great to display. All you need is to unroll the canvas and hold it against the wall to determine the hanging location. Next is to mark the wall with a pencil for the measurement. Put adhesive, or if the artwork is not too precious, you can tack it directly to the wall using map tacks.
Choose whatever way you want to frame or display you rolled canvas print, depending on your style.