How To Frame A Canvas Print: Pro Tips
When you buy a rolled canvas print, you should frame it appropriately. This way, you can preserve and showcase it in your living area or workspace.
You can avail of professional framing services, or you can do it yourself. Are you ready to learn how to frame a canvas print? Then, let’s start.
Things You Need
You will need these items to frame a rolled canvas print:
- Stretcher bar frame
- Staple gun
- Wood, metal, or floater frame
- Clip-on canvas clips
A rolled canvas print is not as expensive as one that is already stretched onto a frame. It could be one of your reasons why you bought one. Or, it’s just the only option for the canvas art you fancied.
Now, the important thing to do is to frame it. How to frame canvas art is relatively easy. However, before putting it on a frame, you have to stretch it to a bar frame first.
Putting Canvas Print On A Stretcher Bar Frame
Follow these steps to put your canvas print on a stretcher-bar frame:
- Measure your canvas print to determine the size of the frame you’re going to need. Take the length and width precisely using a measuring tape.
- Leave at least two inches of canvas that can fold and staple into the stretcher-bar. If there is too much extra fabric, cut it out to make folding easier.
- Place canvas on a clean surface, face down.
- Then, position the stretcher bar evenly on top of the canvas. The distance between all corners should be the same.
- Start on the canvas’ shorter side. Fold the extra canvas over the stretcher bar and staple it in the middle to hold it in place.
- Do Step 5 on all sides of the canvas.
- Now, work on each side again. Pull the canvas slightly before stapling both sides of the first staple you made in the middle. The space between the staples should be even. Proceed until you secure all sides.
- For the corners, cut the tip and fold down before stapling.
- Check the front of your canvas to see if it sits well on your stretcher bar frame.
Framing The Canvas Print
After doing the process discussed above, how to frame a canvas portrait should be easy. First, you have to choose the material you prefer—a wood frame, metal frame, or a floater frame.
Again, you have to have precise measurements of your canvas print when shopping for a frame. Also, you have to complement your canvas with the frame, not one that will overpower the art on the canvas.
To put your canvas on the frame, follow these steps:
- Lay the frame face down on a clean, flat surface.
- Insert the canvas into the frame. Make sure the canvas sits on the frame’s inner lip.
- Attach the clip-on canvas clips where the edges of the canvas and frame meet. Start on one side and work around the material.
- After making sure that the canvas is secure, turn it up to your output.
Try this procedure of how to frame a canvas print. Then, you can hang it in your hallway or doorway, or make it a centerpiece of your living space.